Saturday, March 27, 2010

And Here. We. Go.

   Here it is, the first post. The reason I've started this blog up is that, there are so many resources and websites and blogs out there about recovering from your eating disorder--which is great if you've chosen to do that--yet, there are very few outlets for those of us with EDs who AREN'T in recovery. And the websites that are available to us are immediately dubbed "Pro Ana" and "Pro Mia" and demonized for encouraging and promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. However, there is a big difference between PROMOTING EDs and being allowed to talk openly and honestly about how we live. 
   I have great respect for those who have chosen to embark upon the recovery process, and I can't say with 100% certainty that I will NEVER make that decision for myself. What I can say, though, is that I was in an inpatient/residential treatment program for three months-and not only did I relapse within a day of being discharged, but continued to purge in secret throughout my stay there. I sincerely believe that this is because in order to truly recover from ED, you have to truly WANT to-and I do not want to at this point in my life. And I know, both from being in treatment and from all the blogs and websites that I read, that there are so many others like me out there. People who recognize that EDs are dangerous diseases, who would never ENCOURAGE someone to develop one or PROMOTE it as a "glamorous" lifestyle--but who nevertheless are not at a point in their lives where they want to recover. 
   With that being said, it should not come as a surprise that I WOULD NOT recommend reading or following this blog if you are trying to recover, as the entire point of it is to provide a safe place for myself and (hopefully, in the future) others who ARE NOT IN RECOVERY. Therefore, I will not be censoring myself and do not want anyone else to, either. For that reason, material in this blog may be triggering. So please, only follow and read it if you won't be offended by posts relating to diet, exercise, tips, tricks, and other topics that are central to the lives of people choosing to live with ED. Im going to try and make this blog as useful and relevant as possible for us, and encourage ideas and contributions from others, once anyone other than me starts reading this =) That's all for now, new posts to come!

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment